Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Fairy Falls, Firehole Geyser Basin, Wyoming

Fairy Falls hike from the parking lot near Midway Geyser Basin.

22 May, 2009

An easy, almost non-hike. I seem to remember figuring it was 5.25 miles round
trip. But, there is almost no vertical to be dealt with at all. You really can't count the maybe 30 feet you meander up to get to the base of the falls.

Our family of 6 got there very easily. Nobody was wearing flip-flops. But, they probably could have. You can scramble up the sides of the fall if you want. It is a bit steep, and quite loose.

This fall at 196 feet is magnificent. I am not sure what Mystic fall is in height. But I think this is taller. We tried to take a short side hike over to what I believe is the Queen's Laundry. Two thermal features visible from the falls. Fact is they are visible the entire hike. They are also visible from the Midway Geyser boardwalk.

This May however the trail as you near those thermal features is a creek. The entire area was a swamp. Which made me decide to give up. We were all in sneakers, and I did not want to deal with the clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment